We are here to help you

V5C Document Explained


Car Buying Solutions 

V5C Document With Car Buying Solutions

V5c Document


The Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency (DVLA) will provide a paper document called a v5c when you buy a new car.


This document is also referred to as a log book. It is what the authorities use to find out who the registered owner of a vehicle is. 


This person must inform the authorities who was driving the vehicle when the alleged offence occurred. They can be held responsible for parking fines or speeding offences.


Additionally, this person may be held liable for any fines or violations resulting from using the vehicle. 


In addition, it has information about your vehicle, including the registration number, the size of the engine, and the keeper's details. Enter your reference number into the system. You can use it to pay the road tax for your vehicle online. 


It is essential to have your V5C on hand when you are scrapping a car. It will help speed up the process and stop you from unnecessarily registering and taxing your car. We do not need it to de-register your vehicle.

However, it is best to have it ready. This will enable us to remove the vehicle from your name quickly. We can also return any road tax you paid as soon as possible. 


Can I still Scrap My Car Without A V5c?


Yes, you can. The paperwork known as the V5C is not evidence that you own the vehicle. It indicates who is responsible for paying any fines, taxes, or fees related to the vehicle.


Examples include parking or speeding fines. 


We will provide you with a collection receipt and a cover letter if you still need to get your V5C. Submit these documents to the DVLA to inform them that you sold or scrapped your vehicle to us.


We will give you a collection receipt if you still need to get your V5C. 

Your name will be removed from the V5C for the car.

You will also receive a refund for any road tax already paid.



Why Do I Need A V5C Document?


When a vehicle is bought or sold, a new V5C document is issued. The vehicle registration number stays the same, but the document reference number differs.


It is used for buying and selling and includes lots of important data to help you avoid buying a stolen or cloned vehicle. On any V5C, you will have


Make and Model 

Vehicle Registration Date 

Chassis Number 


Engine Number 

Engine Size 

How Many Seats 

Gross Weight (commercial vehicles)


The DVLA keeps track of any changes to a vehicle. This includes import/export status, taxation class, weight, engine number and emissions for most modern cars. This helps determine the correct tax bracket for the vehicle.


When buying a vehicle, you will fill out the green section with your name and Address. Keep the new keeper's green section; it can be used to tax your car online. The seller will complete the new keeper details online. You should receive your new V5C in the post within six weeks.


The V5C document helps prove car ownership and who is liable for parking tickets or speeding fines. The police will also use this information if a vehicle has been used in a crime and help locate the offender.


How to Avoid Being Caught Out When Buying A Used Car?


Sadly, many horror stories online exist about people who have bought cloned cars. When people scrap their vehicles, they typically look for a replacement. We hope to help you avoid these sophisticated scams.


Running an HPI report is an important part when buying a new car. It provides most of the information you need to make an informed decision. However, an HPI report might not always detect a cloned car or a fake V5C.


Hold the V5C up to the light. You should see DVLA etched into it. This is much like money, and it is tough to counterfeit.


If these markings are not there, check online to see if the document reference number is valid.


Check the Address on the V5C - If you're buying your new vehicle privately most people are selling their car or selling it on behalf of a partner or parents, check the address matches where you're going.


Check The Chassis Number - Every vehicle has a chassis number, usually located on the windscreen and the door pillar. Chassis numbers are also stamped into different areas of the car. If there have been tampered with, it's a good indication that someone is trying to hide something. If you feel you need more confidence, take someone with you who can check this for you.


What Section On The V5 Document Do I Complete When I Scrap My Car?


Known to most motor traders, scrap car buyers and salvage buyers as the yellow slip, it's called the V5C/3 on the V5C. We can't speak for other companies, but when we collect a scrap vehicle, we always complete the V5C/3 section for our customers. You can use the information in this section to inform the DVLA online.


The registered keeper must notify the DVLA if they have scrapped or sold a vehicle, and if you don't update your V5c, you could be liable for fines up to £1000! You will need to notify your insurance company at the same time.


How Do I Apply For A New V5C (logbook)


If you need a new key from the main dealer, they will ask for your driving licence and the V5C. The same goes when you need to order a new number plate.


A logbook is used by many as proof of ownership.

It can be a right pain when you can't find it, but applying for a replacement is simple and easy to do. The worst part is it's going to cost you £25.


The v5c form you are going to need is called a V62. You can print these online or pop into your local post office, which usually has all the DVLA forms you need.


You will need your vehicle details, such as


Registration Number

Chassis Number

Name and Address

£25 Fee for a replacement


Once you have filled out this information, you can take it straight to your local post office, which will send it to the DVLA for you. It usually takes 4-6 weeks for a replacement to arrive.


If you have questions regarding the V5C document or can't find yours to scrap a vehicle, call us on 03301229829.